Cochrane ENT has participated in two James Lind Alliance (JLA) Priority Setting Partnerships (PSP). The partnerships in Tinnitus and Aspects of Balance brought together patients, carers and clinicians to identify and prioritise the top 10 uncertainties, or 'unanswered questions', about the effects of treatments that they agree are the most important.
Aspects of Balance: Top 10
- What is the optimal process for GP education and training for improved diagnosis and management of balance disorders?
- What is the best way of training health professionals in the management of balance disorders?
- What is the most effective treatment for vestibular migraine?
- What are the best interventions to improve balance/minimise symptoms in daily activities such as supermarkets, escalators etc.?
- Is any specific surgical intervention effective in Ménière's disease and what procedure is best?
- Are there any effective interventions for the ear pressure symptoms in Ménière's disease?
- What is the optimum pharmacological strategy for the management of patients with Ménière's disease? In particular, what are the effects of betahistine (including long term effects)?
- Is it helpful in preventing the severity, frequency and progression of attacks of Ménière's disease to adopt a specific diet, or restrict salt, caffeine or fluid intake?
- Are the home-based exercises given to patients with balance disorders effective?
- Are stress management techniques helpful in patients with balance disorders?